Friday, June 10, 2011

Next Tuesday's Fun: Tennessee State Museum


Today's Fun Jar selection was one of my entries for this summer: a trip to the Tennessee State Museum.  Non-art museums aren't generally my favorite, but the current exhibit of Egyptian Relics looks fabulous.  I think it will be great fun and great learning.  (Plus we're studying Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece next year, so it ties in so very nicely.) 

Even if you and your children aren't history buffs, the descriptions of mummification should be enough to get any boys in your family interested!  I'll be creating a scavenger hunt for my children to do while we're at the museum and I'm happy to print extra copies if your child and/or family wants to complete one while we're there.  The scavenger hunt will not be elaborate, but will hopefully help my children focus on some of the key things I want to be sure they notice.

Admission is free, but parking downtown can be expensive.  My solution?  We'll arrive early enough to park in the library parking lot and walk the three or four blocks to the museum.  That way, we can piggy-back a library trip onto our museum visit.  If you'd like to meet in the library lobby and walk over together, just let me know.  Here are the details:

Where: Tennessee State Museum
When: Tuesday, June 14, 10 AM (or meet in downtown library lobby at 9:45)
How Much: Parking in a lot near the museum will probably run you $10; parking in the library lot with validation will be about $5
If you are so inclined: Pack lunch and we can picnic in the library courtyard before heading home

Let me know if you have any questions.  Hope you can join us!

No comments: